IDF Chief of Staff Takes Responsibility for October 7 Failures Amid Calls for State Inquiry

February 28, 2025

1:19 PM

Reading time: 5 minutes


In a somber address on Thursday, IDF Chief of Staff Herzi Halevi took full responsibility for the failures surrounding the October 7, 2023, attack, emphasizing that as the commander of the army at the time, the blame for the incident rests with him. "The responsibility is mine. I was the commander of the army on October 7, and I also bear the full weight of your responsibility," Halevi stated after the publication of the IDF's internal investigations into the events.

Halevi’s candid remarks reflected the deep introspection and accountability he has carried since the attack, acknowledging the mistakes made within the military. "I see every mistake my subordinates made as partly my own," he said, emphasizing the necessity of confronting failure head-on to improve. "Do not try to forget, do not try to look away—not from a place of weakness, but with great strength," Halevi added.

He continued by outlining the guiding values that shaped the IDF’s internal inquiry into the attack: truth, transparency, objectivity, responsibility, and camaraderie. "The order matters," Halevi said, underlining the importance of these principles in the pursuit of accountability.

While Halevi’s stance has been one of taking responsibility, prominent political figures have raised concerns about the sufficiency of the IDF’s internal probes. National Unity Party Chairman Benny Gantz and Yisrael Beytenu Chairman Avigdor Lieberman are among those demanding a state commission of inquiry to examine the broader failures, including the political echelon’s role in the disaster.

The calls for a state inquiry continue to mount, as many believe that uncovering the truth and holding the right people responsible is key to restoring public trust and ensuring national security moving forward.

Adding to the tension, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office expressed surprise on Thursday that they had not yet received the IDF’s October 7 probes, even though the investigations had been shared with senior military officials and journalists. "To the greatest surprise, one party has not yet received the investigations—the Prime Minister," a spokesperson said. Defense Minister Israel Katz quickly ordered the IDF to forward the findings to the Prime Minister's office.

With calls for transparency and accountability growing louder, the government and military face mounting pressure to ensure that the failures of October 7 are fully addressed, and that lessons are learned for the future.

Facebook Icon
Instagram Icon
YouTube Icon

Copyright © 2025 TBN Israel. All rights reserved.

Designed & Developed by WITH LOVE INTERNET